Guthrie County was originally part of old Keokuk county, which was comprised of approximately the western two-thirds of the state of Iowa. Later Keokuk county was organized with its present boundaries and Guthrie county was then part of a vast unorganized region until the Hon. P.M. Casady prepared and pushed through the legislature a bill dividing the region into counties, one of which was Guthrie, in 1851. Guthrie county was named for Captain William Guthrie, formerly of Keokuk, who was the captain of the only company Iowa sent to the Mexican War. Captain Guthrie was mortally wounded in battle.
Source: Guthrie County Historical Village
Visit the Guthrie County website by clicking Here.